Established in 1983, the South Texas Chapter of NATS stretches from the Rio Grande Valley to Belton, TX. There are nearly 100 active members of the chapter, representing numerous private studios, 20+ universities, and several public schools. The chapter meets twice annually: once in the spring for student auditions and a business meeting, and once in the fall for a morning workshop, business meeting, and afternoon recital of the Audition winners from the previous spring.
The South Texas Chapter also supports the following special awards:
- Lucila Montoya Waldman Award for outstanding performance of a Spanish art song.
- Herald Stark Encouragement Award presented to an outstanding freshman.
- Alice Dutcher Thornton Certificate of Honor presented to a singer in the finals of Divisions XI-B, XII-B, XIII, XIV who exhibits “outstanding career potential.”
- Outstanding Student Accompanist Award presented to an accompanist who is currently enrolled in undergraduate studies.
- Aspiring Artist Summer Program Grant